Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Let the Run Shine In

Dearest Readers -

So much has happened since my last post (three days ago). I have decided to break this down by days, so to start...

Monday, January 7th

Monday, I hit the treadmill with high hopes. In my head, I was going for a full 30 minutes of running at a decent pace. In reality, it was a 22 minute series of running spurts followed by gasps of breath and a series of side pain after side pain. I suppose I wasn't very prepared. I hadn't eaten well prior to the run and I guess I was a little dehydrated, too. I was beginning to feel as though I would never be able to do a full 26.2 miles. I mean, how in the world would I be able to complete it when I could barely run for ten minutes? I was beginning to get discouraged. What's worse, I intended to do a decent weight workout, but could only muster the energy for a few simple triceps sets.

It's funny how I'm always glad I went to run afterwards, even if I'm miserable during the run itself. I suppose this is nature's way of making one forget the pain. Sort of like how a mama has a hazy recollection of childbirth.

I did learn one thing during this run: Amy Winehouse is no running companion. I do love her (the tragic, little tart) music and I do love that beehive hairdo, but I just cannot run while listening to her. I also realized that at the beginning of each new song (by artists other than Ms. Winehouse) I feel renewed and invigorated. A literal spring enters each step. This wears off after about 20 seconds. In certain desperate moments, I immediately go from song, to song, to song. The effect wears off if I'm really reaching for it, however, and I'm back to the misery of focusing on the time, distance, and pace features of the treadmill, along with the piece of hair that keeps flapping in my face.

I really felt like all hope was lost during Monday's run. I couldn't see how I would run 26.2 miles. I could barely stand running for ten straight minutes. You may be thinking "Sure, but it's only been the first week". But I just KNOW this body and it will not keep on-a-goin til I tell it to stop.

SO - I go throughout the remainder of the day and something wonderful happens. Or should I saw SOMEONE wonderful. I had a dinner appointment with a client who was coming to visit Eugene for a brief spell. I knew said client was running a marathon this coming weekend, so I was of course excited to chat about it. WELL, Can I just tell you I have a renewed hope??? I do not have her permission to use her in the blog, so I'll just refer to her as Marathon Kristy, or MK. MK is an inspiration to all of us non-runners. She has been training for three months only and has an awesome technique designed by a running guru (apparently he's pretty famous, but I'd never heard of him) named Jeff Galloway. Basically, Jeff recommends running for a period of time, and then walking. resume running, walk, etc. For instance, I could run 9 minutes, walk 1. Run 9, walk 1 and so on and so on. This is awesome news. I Mean, really awesome. She even said you can tailor it to your skill level, so let's call it 8 and 2 for me and see what happens. MK helped me to realize that there is a way to accomplish this goal: Stop trying to run the whole time. DUH!!!

I left my dinner with an inspired feeling. It was like the clouds parted and the sun shone right down on me and let me in on the secret of life. Perhaps I'm exaggerating, but I really felt renewed. I (shocker!) was actually looking forward to my next run.

Tuesday, January 8:

Well, one might think that I would have tried out the new found technique on Tuesday, but no. I was back to my old slacker ways. I sort of have an excuse, but it's a poor one, albeit a motivational, inspiring one. I stopped at my house to let the dog out for a potty break before going to the gym. As I approached my front door, I noticed a package in the mailbox. In in was the book I'd been waiting for: Dawn Dais's "The Non-runners Guide to Running a Marathon". This was Nanci's guiding force and I couldn't wait to begin. It took all of five seconds to talk myself into staying home and reading the book on my lunch break instead of going to the gym to run. I was glad I did - it, too, was good insight and just hilarious. I also read it last night, and plan to do so tonight again. I'm convinced that if she could do this, than I certainly can.

What's even worse about my skipping the work-out? I was talking on the phone with Nanci as I decided to skip. We were chatting about how much fun the training and the blogging are and how glad we are to do it, and oh, isn't it motivating to have so much support, and on and on and on. And what do I do? Skip a workout! Ah well. I'm relatively sure there will be plenty more to look forward to. The arrival of the new book not only trumped a workout, but also A Tale of Two Cities. I will begin it again as soon as the marathon book is finished.

January 9:

So Today, I had really not felt well all day. I can sense a chest cold creeping in (courtesy of Emelyn) and a headache threatening to take over my previous sound, calm, cranium. I did have a lot on my mind, though. Loads of things going on. I didn't feel right just not going to the gym (I did skip yesterday after all), but I could not imagine how I'd jump on the treadmill and accomplish anything. I resolved in the end that I'd do some cross training and just ride a bike (while reading my book).

As I entered the gym and went for the cardio sign-up sheet, I started to write my name in a half-hour block for Bike #3 (which I have found to be the best bike - just in case you are interested), but something deep inside of me told me that I would RATHER run. Can you believe that? I wasn't feeling too well, I have something liquid building up in my lungs, and there I was - Choosing to run.

I have deduced that is just what we runners do. Even when we don't feel like running, we do it anyway. It is the best thing for us in the long run and we know it. It is an other-worldly force calling us to run. We run against all odds, us runners. By choosing to run today, I believe I have earned the right to call myself a runner.

It gets better. I decided to implement the run 8, walk 2, run 8, walk 2, run 8 and walk 2 plan for 30 minutes to see what happens. Can you believe that it worked miracles? it made it so much easier for me to just keep going. Knowing that I had a recovery break every 8 minutes, I had no problem running towards that goal of getting a walking break. I think I have found my groove. I owe it all to MK, without whom I would still be struggling.

So Cheers to Marathon Kristy! And may the Force be with you this Saturday in AZ as you run your first marathon!!!

No comments: