Sunday, January 6, 2008

It was the Best of Runs, It Was the Worst of Runs

Since my last post, I've accomplished a lot towards my 2008 goals, first of which was my second official run. On Friday, I sandwiched in a 2 mile run and a shoulder work-out. I came to the gym well prepared with not one, not two, but three different running bottoms to try on before I left the cozy confines of the locker room into the unforgiving, mirror clad, cardio room at the gym. It was decided that I would venture out in a running skirt, which I purchased this past summer at Target, worn only (up to this point) for casual summertime outings that did not involve running in any way, shape, or form. My choice proved excellent in fact. A loose-fitting spandex lining with a forgiving skirt surrounding it. I felt comfortable throughout the entire workout and stayed cool. The running skirt has earned a place as my runwear of choice for the time being - at least until I begin those long runs.

My run itself was actually great. Treadmill #2 was again unavailable, but I was able to score #5, which is second best. It, too, is positioned directly in front of the TV (this one turned to CNN). I had my iPod back on track and ran at an even pace without too much thought to mileage and time. I determined it would be best to cover up the clock and calorie/mileage counters while running. This proved to be good for my psyche. Before I knew it, I was finished. My legs were already sore from my first run, so I was expecting to collapse as soon as I dismounted the treadmill, but I actually felt just fine. A quick stretch and shoulder workout and I was on my way. I am confident to proclaim that this run has been the best yet. (Reader should be reminded that this is my second run)

For Saturday, I did not work out or run, but I took a stride towards my goal. You should know, first, however, our family motto when beginning a new hobby or sport: A Year Before the Gear. Now, this is technically Greg's motto, as he's used it since high school, but I like it so much I began using it as soon as I learned. Basically, we have to wait an entire year to buy any new gear for a new sport or hobby. For instance, Greg bought guitar lessons for me as a Christmas gift last year. I played for a solid five months (using his guitar), after which time I have not put fingers to strings. Had I bought a guitar, it would be in the attic by now. This family policy saves money and keeps us from jumping from one proverbial "band wagon" to another. We "make do" with borrowed or rented gear until we are certain to continue the endeavor. (Hence, a Year before the Gear). SO, it was with great reservation that I purchase anything for my running goal. Sure, I'm keeping a positive attitude and not using the phrase "if I run", but rather "when I run this marathon", but it's not even been a full week. I surmised, however, that in order to be serious about this marathon, a metaphorical road map was necessary. Therefore, Emelyn and I went to an office supply store and purchased a 2008 pocket calendar for $13.49. It breaks down the year by week, and also has a "monthly" view of each month. I've entered three workouts already. After a couple of months of light training, I'll begin to write out my entire training schedule and also record my progress. This was a very exciting leap for me, as my mission has now become much more tangible. I have a lot of work to do, but I can now sort of see it ahead.

Today was a not-so-good running day. I can explain, however. A snapshot of my day is as follows:
8:30 - wake
9:30 - eat 4 mint chocolate chip cookies, two cups coffee
10:30 - one more cup of coffee
12noon - gorged myself at lunch - stuffed roasted avocado (with bacon), curried prawns in coconut sauce with vegetables and rice
2pm - eat two brownies
2:10-3:30 - nap
3:31 - wake from nap, gasp, check the time, down two glasses of water
3:45 - attempt a run at the gym.

Not exactly the day of champion. I felt pretty horrible on the treadmill, but I did do a solid 35 minutes of walking first, then running a mile, walking a little, and then running for the remainder. All in all, it was 2.7 miles. Not too bad. I also increased my pace a little for the second half of the run and it felt like a more natural pace for me. I will say, though, that this was my worst run of the three.

Thus we arrive at the title of my blog: summing up not only my previous two workouts, (it was the best of runs, it was the worst of runs) but also paraphrasing my first book: A Tale of Two Cities (It was the Best of times, it was the Worst of times). I began the book this afternoon in those ten minutes between brownies and nap, and immediately realized why I didn't read it all those years ago in the 10th grade when it was originally assigned to me. Dickens, while I certainly can recognize that he is a master of prose, tends to go ON and ON and ON and by the time I've completed a page, I can't exactly remember what I've read. I do recall recognizing a pattern among similar period literature (not just Dickens, but many of the authors from the 19th century and prior) and the noticeable stark contrast in writing styles from Today. Of course their wording is much more dense, but historical context is also a factor. It was a jolt to my brain this afternoon - I will have to practically thrust myself into a study mode while reading these books. I am looking forward to the challenge.





1 comment:

MikMalMom said...

I honestly think running might be easier than reading those awful books Mrs. Carey made us read. Silas Marner anyone?

Love ya Lizzie. Keep up the good work!