Today is Tuesday. I have had the pleasure of running outside for my past three runs and let me tell you - it is fantastic. This jubilation is not meant to gloat to our friends back east who are experiencing record low temps, but rather to just make it known that I can see a HUGE difference in my running while I'm not on the treadmill. For the past four days, Eugene has experienced AWESOME weather. 50-55 degrees and mostly sunny. It has literally been perfect running weather.
On Sunday, I ran outside. It almost didn't happen, however. For some reason, I was exhausted Sunday afternoon. I actually slept for small bits of time over the period of about an hour and a half. Greg and Emelyn went to the park and I decided that instead of falling back to sleep, I'd better just get up and run. This was about 5pm. Let me rewind my day a little, however, and enlighten you all on what I believe to be Eugene's Miracle Food. This is my newest power-food discovery.
Emelyn and I had spent the morning in the bookstore. She had an assignment from her school to bring in a book about Birds, so we were choosing among a few favorites. Greg had to go into the courthouse to work in the morning and it was taking longer than he expected. We thought it would be fun to pick up lunch and bring it to him. SO - this was about noon. We decided upon Bagel Sphere, Eugene's BEST place for bagels. In fact, it's Eugene's only New York Style bagel that's locally made. AND - best of all - located within walking distance of the courthouse so I did not have to do too much in the car out of the car in the car, etc.
I order one Veggie Melt Bagel each for Greg and I, and a Strawberry Bagel with Very Berry cream cheese for Emelyn (yum). Let me get detailed about this veggie melt because I have discovered that it is indeed the perfect food for runners. You can choose from any type of bagel. I chose Wheat. What happens next is crucial, so pay attention: They cut the bagel in half - it is served open faced. To each half, they add the following: one layer of veg cream cheese, tomato slices, banana pepper rings, and thin slices of red onion. All of this is topped with a slice of white cheese (must be provalone). This delectable goodie then goes through this big conveyor belt toaster thing and comes out the other side PERFECTLY toasted and melty.
Can I just tell you that while it seems like a lot of food (because it is), it is a pefect combination of all of the right things. Serving it open faced must do something to the ideal balance and caloric intake. Here's why: I scarfed this bagel at 12:30 and did not eat a single thing before my run at 5:05 and let me tell you - I had plenty of energy and felt great. Sure I drank my requisite water as I should, but I am one of those people who needs to eat every couple of hours or I become scary. Greg refers to the phenomenon as "Low Blood Sugar Lizzie" and goes to great lengths to avoid this alter ego of mine. He once brought enough food on a chartered flight to Costa Rica (just in case I became extremely odd) and ended up feeding everyone on the plane as well as me. "Low Blood Sugar Lizzie" is not a good time.
Not only did this Bagel Sphere masterpiece Veggie Melt keep LBSL at bay, it gave me the energy I needed to have a great run.
As far as the run itself is concerned, the Sun was shining and I was alone - no Emelyn. I only had about thirty minutes, so I opted for a shorter route than I had the day before, but only slightly so. I chose to wear my capri running pants, a sports bra, and a long-sleeved lycra/cotton shirt. I think it was about 50 degrees and that was a perfect amount of clothing for me. I felt pretty comfortable in it. I am getting better at dressing for the great outdoors. All in all, I think I must have ran about 3.5 miles. I was moving pretty quickly, though and before I knew it, I was at the half way point and was on my way back home.
I owe the success of this run to that Veggie Melt. It certainly wasn't the nap I took before the run. It certainly wasn't the drinks and restaurant food I had the night before. It certainly wasn't the non-existent breakfast I had that morning either. It was indeed the BAGEL -- The Runner's most perfect food.
__________________________________________________________________________________
Today is Tuesday. Monday was a rest day for me. I was lucky enough to be met with Sunshine and almost 60 degrees at lunchtime, so I was able to run outside again today. I made a bold move, however. Because of the warm temp, I decided to don a pair of spandex shorts. Not just any spandex shorts either. The kind that one wears before bearing children (as those are all I have and I am not yet ready to spend more money on this endeavor). I thought I might as well give them a shot at a time when I'm not standing in front of a wall of mirrors and others aren't biking or climbing stairs right behind me. Plus, I figured if nothing else kept me moving today, I could rely on the fear of being seen by someone I know in those things.
I was careful not to look in the mirror. I did notice that they were tighter around the waste than I recall (haha) but they felt OK everywhere else. In fact - they were downright comfortable. I clipped my iPod to my waste band and was off and running. I quickly trotted to the bark mulch trail and headed on my usual route towards campus. It actually went pretty quickly for the first ten minutes. I didn't even think to look at my watch, until I thought about it... and then I couldn't stop looking at it. I then decided to shake this watch watching obsession and took a small walking break. It was nice to slow down and look around to see who else is out there with me.
I noticed a pack of four older men running together, looking really fit and ready for anything (I saw them on my way back - and they me - and they were looking ready to stop running - as I'm certain I was as well). I observed high school and junior high kids hanging outside their schools on their lunch breaks. There were walkers, runners, skaters, bicyclists all around me and it was actually really neat. Today had that "first day of spring" feel, even though it's of course early February.
So anyway - As I ran, I felt good. I did have a little soreness in my right shin and stopped periodically to stretch it and massage it, but otherwise, I did over 4 miles in 40 minutes. When I arrived back home I did a quick stretch, quick rinse, ate a burger left over from dinner last night (yes - it's been so nice we grilled outside last night - sorry again east coasters and midwesterners!) and was on my way. I was feeling pretty good.
I am a little concerned about the shin splint. It's my first since this training began - so that's not too bad. But I wonder why now? It's sort of odd but it could be for many reasons so I'll try not to obsess over it too much. There are many more things to obsess over - like when will the day come when I wear those shorts inside? It's not likely that I ever will!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Wow Lizzie, your pace is amamzing for the short time you have been training. I am struggling to get the elusive 10 minute mile. For now I will settle for a 11-12 minute mile. Keep it up! I will have to try the bagel before a run thing. I have been starting to think about foods that I need as fuel. It is hard to eat some of the foods that I have forbidden due to the carb issue. I guess I need the fuel now.
I just ordered two books by Jeff Galloway, I will let you know what I learn from his guruness. Keep runnin an denjoy that perfect running weather. I have adapted to the cold and kind of like it, I dread the summer temps that will be coming in a few months. I agree though 45-55 is awesome.
Post a Comment