HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!
Let me just start my recognizing my Valentine, Greg. He has never ever doubted that I could do keep up this running quest, even when I had convinced myself I was living in a fantasy world. Today I had the best Valentine's gift I've ever had - a run with my two Valentine's - Greg and Emelyn. I guess it wasn't so much of a gift as it was an idea we had earlier in the day, which then turned into a gift. I'd emailed Greg to see if he could pick up Emelyn after work so I could go for a run. He wasn't sure his trial would be over in time, so I suggested we run together with Emelyn when we all arrived at home.
Greg diligently patched the tire that blew over the weekend on our jogging stroller as I picked up Emelyn. We had a light snack (she a full meal) and we were off. It was about 6:15 or so by the time we left the house. It was dark, but clear. The temperature was about 40 degrees. Just about perfect, really. We took my usual 4 mile route.
Can I just tell you - I felt great. I had a little shin splint after about ten minutes, but it cleared away after a while. I seemed to be keeping a decent pace and for the first time EVER while running with Greg, he didn't look like he was physically going to be hurt by running as slowly as I was. Perhaps this was because he was pushing a stroller. But none the less, I felt pretty good next to him. Now, if it was just the two of us, it could have been a different story. But why focus on that? We had a great run together. As a family. What fun!
I think we were gone for about 45 minutes. We stopped a little along the way for Emelyn tending. Things like getting her milk if it fell, or getting a pack of Raisins for her. Not nearly as many times as when it was just she and I.
I had to laugh as I saw lots of couples in cars as we passed - no doubt going out to dinner. Not us, though. We were going for a run.
I am still shocked that I'm actually sticking to the running. I (kind of) even like it now. When we returned tonight, I felt like I could have just kept going. I was no where near exhausted, nor did my legs feel like noodles (which has been known to happen).
I have made a decision on my first race: I will run the Eugene Half Marathon. It's on May 4, which gives me about 11 weeks. I have found a 12 week training schedule for a half marathon, so I'll start in week two as of right now. I am excited to do this! I can't believe I'm about to say this, but as I looked over the schedule, it actually looked pretty EASY for the first half of it, so it should be a little lighter than what I'm doing right now. This will help me to not over train (also can't believe it would even be a possibility) and stay focused on following a schedule.
The sheer fact that I have been running at all for the past 8 weeks is amazing in itself. I will literally shock myself if I run this half marathon in May. I certainly wouldn't have guess I was capable of it even a month ago, but now, somehow, I have a calm confidence about it. Some of this no doubt stems from my being extremely naive about these things, but it also originates from the fact that I am getting better and I can see myself being well prepared for a half-marathon if I continue the metaphorical (as well as physical) road I'm on.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I had a great time, too! Happy Valentine's Day, babe!
Liz - What a great story! The next time you 3 go for a family run, see if you can find someone to take an action photo of the event. I would love to see it! A half marathon is an ambitious goal, but with a good training schedule you will make it happen. You go, girl! - Carol
What a great example for Emelyn. I teach a student that has done a 5K and 10K with her dad. She is only 12 years old too! I am starting to think that running may a great familiy activity for years to come...who knew?!
Post a Comment