I haven't been blogging all week, as you may have noticed. You may have assumed that I was running, however, and that I would catch up with posting on the weekend. You are half correct: I BARELY ran this week.
On Monday, I had no intention of running after running 10 miles the day prior. Tuesday, I fully intended to run on my lunch hour but forgot proper socks, which IS a deal breaker for a run these days. Wednesday, I didn't have time to run during my lunch hour, so Greg and I decided to run after work with Emelyn in the stroller. It proved to be a terrible run for me it was only 4 miles (HA! Still can't believe that seems short), but I never got my stride down. My legs hurt the entire time, AND I lost Greg and Emelyn after I had asked them to go ahead of me - I'd stopped to stretch for about the 4th time - and they disappeared. I found them at home later.
Something magical happened on Wednesday night, though. I'm not sure what it was, however. I woke on Thursday morning to ZERO soreness in my feet. Could it be that taking it easy this week actually helped me? I'm not sure because I DID run on Wednesday evening. I thought it must have been the decided overall week of light duty, so I didn't risk it - I rested Thursday - no running or cross training. Friday I fully intended to run after work, but (eagerly) accepted an invitation to have cocktails with Greg's boss and his wife after work, so two glasses of wine later, we went out to dinner and I put any thought of a run behind me.
Saturday - I cross trained - 30 minute walk on the treadmill and weight lifting. Sunday - I was to run 9 miles. I was of course nervous - only one run this week and it was a horrible experience. The weather didn't help matters either. You may recall that last Sunday in Eugene was 80 degrees and sunny. Today - 40 degrees with a mix of rain and hail. There was also two inches of snow on the ground this morning (but it quickly disappeared). I believe we call this a "wintry mix" in the Midwest. In Western Oregon, we don't call it anything - because it never happens - especially not in late April.
Not only were a light running week and the weather not on my side, I wasn't on my side either. I had eaten properly - starting with a huge carbo load Saturday night, great breakfast, and leftovers from Saturday night for lunch, but I hadn't really planned my day out right. It wasn't until 4pm that I went for the run. I wasn't even sure how hydrated I was (but lucky for me, I had done that right as well). I didn't even chart my course until just before I left the house, which is when I actually decided for sure upon the nine mile distance. Last week, I was certain I'd knock out 11, but after this week, I played it safe - 9 would do just fine.
As I was leaving the house, I asked Greg to keep his cell phone on and within earshot - just in case I had to call him from the side of the road and beg to be picked up. He laughed and told me not to "let the sound of my own wheels drive me crazy". I started running down the street with the Eagles tune "take it easy" (the song from which Greg's quote was lifted) zooming through my mind. I thought about what it meant - and Greg was (as per usual) exactly right. I was my biggest liability on the run today. I had doomed it before I even started the run - and don't I deserve more credit than that?
So, therefore, three blocks from my home, I picked my head up and put all the negative thoughts behind me. Before I knew it - I was zooming AND I had zero leg pain. I even felt great prior to the magical 25-30 minute acclimation period. I could hardly believe it. I ran for the entire run. Well, that's not exactly true - I stopped in the law school to use the bathroom, and then I stopped under an overpass on the bike path because it was hailing sideways towards me and I had to shake out my rain jacket. But otherwise - all run, all the time. I was gone for an hour and 30 minutes. I was stoked. felt great, save a little bit of knee pain the last 1/2 mile.
I felt so great, in fact, that I was able to enjoy the moment and look around at the people, places, and things completing my experience. There weren't as many runners out (gee, I wonder why? Could it be the hail?), but there were two notables. One woman who started running near Autzen Stadium. I watched her out of the corner of my eye each time the path curved - she was behind me. She ended up passing me. I let this happen, thought being that hey - there will literally be 1000s of people passing me in two weeks for the Eugene Half Marathon and I'd better get used to it. A little later on - like a mile after she passed me - I passed her again as she massaged her shins on a park bench.
And then - there was a family - Mom, Dad, and little itty bitty baby. The mom was SUPER in shape. I noticed her calves from what seemed like half a mile away. She was running back and forth past the dad and stroller, as dad was shouting out technique tips. About 5 minutes later, she zoomed by me. And I mean she was tearing up the bike path. I looked behind me just to make sure there wasn't a nuclear fire ball coming towards us. She looked like the bionic woman. I could see for about a half mile. Every time she came towards someone, they could not help but do a double take. She was really zooming. I was just glad to be running pain free.
This week was light on running, but LARGE on lessons. I learned that rest is a good thing. I'm wondering if I should only do three runs per week instead of the 4 I have been doing. Luckily, I have plenty of time before the marathon to figure this stuff out. After today, I feel pretty good about this whole running thing. I might actually (gasp!) become one of them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Liz you are too hard on yourself sometimes. You have been doing so well and running so hard that perhaps your body is trying to let you know that it is okay to back off a bit. I know that your dedication will pay off---even if you do end up dropping a run per week.
Congrats on the 9 miles completed this week----stop and enjoy that accomplishment. I know that I have to tell myself the same thing too. Always looking to the next challenge and not realizing the accomplishment of the day.
You have come so far and it is just April. :-)
Post a Comment