So Tuesday I was set to test my theory of leg pain. I discovered on Sunday that while running with my back arched and my chest out, I was straighter, faster, and had zero shin splints.
I typically break into this stride after about 20-30 minutes of running. When I had begun each run, I would start slowly. I realzied that when deliberately running slowly, I would sort of hunch my back a little, causing my arms to stay closer to my chest. This, I think, must put extra weight on my legs, causing extra effort and fatigue.
On Tuesday, then, I charted a 3.5 mile course. My goal: To begin my run slowly, while putting into place my full on running stride. Five minutes into the run all was good. After 10 minutes, I still felt OK. I typically would experience swelling at the minimum after a while. However - as it turns out - my theory worked. The straighter my back and the more I kept my chest up and my arms out, the better I felt. What a relief! I'm actually looking forward to my next run!!
Tuesday evening was my bi-monthly blood donation, so Wednesday was a day off. I was going to lightly cross-train today just to take extra caution with the blood levels, but I feel pretty good. I may do a light run this evening with Greg and Emelyn to put this theory to the test again. If not - I will attempt it on Friday.
I feel like I'm moving forward and making progress again. I even notice a difference in leg soreness during the day. I swear that since I began this running venture, something has hurt every single day, all day. Said pain is diminishing, so I certainly hope that trend continues!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I have found the form to be important as well. One would think that running is something we should be able to do without thinking, but there is an art to it so I am finding out.
You truly inspire me to keep going!
Post a Comment