Today I ran 8 miles, but first I must update you on my running since the "5K challenge".
As you know, I realized last weekend, once again, that my running is only as good as the "fuel" I put into my body, so all week I vowed to eat better, eat more, etc. After Tuesday's "race" I took this even more seriously by eating more carbs (of the right kind, keeping the Girlscout Cookies to a minimum) more often and also by getting plenty of sleep.
Thursday evening, I ran 4.5 miles. It went OK. I felt good most of the time, save a shin splint problem during the first third of the run. I theorized that since I do not get shin splints until I transition from the bark mulch trail to the pavement, that the change in surface is what triggers them. I vowed that during my long run, I would avoid the trail altogether and see how it worked for me.
Towards the end of my 4.5 mile loop, I caught my first glimpse of an Olympic Trial trainee. I had heard that there are several of them now living in Eugene, working part-time jobs and training here. He was very tall, was carrying his running shoes, and walking in between two much shorter, older men, who I suspected were coaches. This sighting was good for me, as it allowed me to suck up any fatigue I felt and run past them like I knew what I was doing. Deep down I know they probably wouldn't even notice me, but even so. I was inspired!
Friday, I rested, intending to run on Saturday. I had learned from Nancy earlier this week that Galloway recommends resting the day before I long run. That was all I needed to hear. I planned accordingly. When Saturday came, I still had some leg pain from my 5K challenge, so I decided to walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes, followed by weight lifting. I hit the pavement, then, on Sunday to do my best at 8 miles.
Not surprisingly, I was nervous about this run. Instead of seeing signs of improvement these last couple of weeks, I felt I was going backwards. I hoped the focus on diet proved itself. I had of course eaten my way through my house all day Saturday, even partook in two pieces of pizza at 12am while finishing a movie with Greg. Hey - if there's one thing I CAN do well, it's eat a lot.
Sunday morning I woke up to quickly turning skies. It was full sun, but became cloudy quickly. A check of the hour-by-hour forecast on weather.com determined that it would begin a rain/snow mix around 1pm. This of course motivated me to get out and back before the wintry (isn't it spring?) mix hit the valley floor. I mapped out my 8 mile run with the help of gpedometer. I was excited to hit some new territory. I would be running on the bike path by the river for this first time.
Greg and I fixed bagels with egg and cream cheese. I then washed down an Ibuprofen with a big glass off water and was out the door. I initially felt pretty good. Leg pain didn't set in until about 10 minutes. I stopped at 28 minutes to stretch my legs and to massage my shins for about two minutes. As soon as I stood up, I felt great. I decided to break into full stride and see what happens. I was almost three miles into the run and closing in on the bike path along the river. There were runners everywhere I looked, in all shapes, sizes, and herd-sizes. I come across runners during each run, but never were they as prolific as when I am in runners territory.
Before I knew it, I was sailing. I felt great. Had zero leg pain. A quick look at my ankles/shins proved that there was no swelling. Could it be that my leg pain is directly related to my stride and thus my pace? I never feel good while running until I begin to speed up. I don't know. It could be that I didn't have enough energy to keep going during my 5K challenge, and that was the reason behind the proverbial brick wall I hit, as opposed to my original conclusion that my muscles had given out from lack of conditioning. I will investigate this theory further this week.
Back to my run: So there I was on the bike path, taking in all of Eugene's beautiful river scenery. I crossed one footbridge to the other side of the river and continued on my way. I was keeping up with a really tall guy who had a shirt on that said "Portland Marathon 2006" and I thought I must be doing pretty well. I realized that I hadn't yet been on that bike path during the rainy months. I entered a more wooded section of it and felt as though I were hiking in the woods. Loads of moss hanging from tall fir trees, ferns everywhere, you get the picture. All of this nature around me and I was just 300 feet or so from Autzen Stadium, where the UO Football team plays. The river roaring by on one side, picturesque forest scene on the other.
As I relished in all of this nature, "nature" called. On the one hand, I was glad - it meant I was well hydrated. But it didn't solve my problem of what to do. I ask you, dear readers: What would you have done? With no time to ponder this query while I was out there running, I trekked further into the wooded area and answered that call. Sure, I was a little nervous about snakes, spiders, and oh - I don't know - being arrested for public indecency. And then there's always the risk of finding a homeless person sleeping beneath a bush. You will be happy to know that I encountered none of that and was on my way again in no time (feeling much better, I may add).
Keeping with my pace, I charged back across another footbridge and headed into the UO campus. I made a big loop in the neighborhood just to the east of campus before I resumed my familiar route through the heart of the Univesity. It felt great because I knew exactly what the remainder of the run would look like, as well as about how long it would take. I was able to maintain my stride, even though I was now experiencing bouts of an uneven pace.
After I had been running for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, I began to feel like my energy was slipping. That ominous lurking dip in energy. Like if I had a banana or a mini sandwich within my grasp, I would have eaten it. Like if I had seen a small child with a cup of crackers, I'd have swiped it. Like if I'd have...oh what's the use, I thought, I only had a little more than a mile to go, so I didn't preoccupy myself further, but certainly noted it for future runs. Perhaps next weekend for my nine mile run I will bring an energy boosting snack. Just as this was crossing my mind, I was able to pull energy reserves from deep down, as I saw on the opposite side of the street from me, moving in the same direction, 5 members of the UO track team. They were just starting their workout, so I could keep up with them (they have lapped Tia and I TWICE before during a run) and I ran "with" them for the next 3/4 mile before I turned off for Willamette street and went home.
I couldn't believe how great I felt on this run. I do not know if it was because of my eating beforehand, or if I am finally getting the right stride/pace for myself. Whatever the reason, I am actually looking forward to my runs this week to delve further into this theory and also to continue training for the Eugene Half Marathon on May 4!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Are you sure that the U of O track team didn't ask you to join them? Glad the run went so well - you deserve it after all the work you have put into achieving your goals! We love you -
Post a Comment