Today I discovered good news! I had been considering the weeks until the half-marathon in relation to my running schedule and it occurred to me that I may in fact be ahead of schedule. If my long run is already at 7 miles, and I have 8 weeks to go, I could possibly be (could it be true??) AHEAD of schedule?
A quick check confirmed my suspicion - I should have run 5 miles on Sunday, not 7. For some people, this would cause a dilemma - should I back up, or should I continue adding a mile each weekend? For me, it was pretty clear: I will (enthusiastically) back up two weeks and relish the experience. Sure, it may seem like I'm losing out (in the long run) but I need to be extra cautious about over training. Let's not lose sight of the fact that I am no runner. I would be shocked if I ran 1 mile in 2007, and in 2008, I have run upwards of 125 or more in only 9 weeks. Therefore, I really need take liberties where they may fall in an effort to avoid the dreaded stress fracture of torn ligament, or whatever other injuries runners may acquire.
I have had a light week. Monday I did only stretching. Tuesday, 20 minutes of cross-training on the elliptical machine along with a short weight routine of chest, triceps and abs. Today, I ran three miles. Tomorrow, I will take off again and Friday probably do 2 miles in conjunction with weight lifting (back, biceps, and shoulders).
All in all, I am pleased with my progress and I am pleased with my commitment to the training. Up to this point, as per my track record (no pun intended), I would have given up by now. So what's keeping me going? Is it the blog? Is it the camaraderie with 4 friends joining in the "fun" of training with me? Is my desire to do this for Emelyn the underlying force? I would have to say it's a combination of all of those things. I also believe that I truly am stronger now than I was 5-10 years ago. I mean mentally/emotionally, as well as physically. In addition, I have more of a sense of who I am and what I want to accomplish in all walks of life. I am doing this marathon for me as well as for all of the reasons mentioned above.
During my run today, I ran past South Eugene High School, which falls into my route on nearly every run. Today's presence, though, was truly special because a lot of the students were outdoors on their lunch breaks. I began to wonder how many of them have integrated fitness into their routines. I suspect very few of them (at least the smattering of students I witnessed Today) and I felt a strong compulsion towards approaching each of them (at the risk of sounding like a grandpa - "if I knew then what I know now") to stress the value of healthy living and lifestyle from an early age. Of course I suppressed this urge, but you get the idea.
This running quest has been very humbling for me. I don't typically do things that don't come easily to me. I have had to push myself to even go on a run, and then push myself to keep running during my run. Had I adopted this value earlier in life, I'm certain I would have better core strength at this point in my life, as well as back then. At any rate - I'm here now, going strong and actually gearing up for a marathon. Who'd have thought? Certainly not my peers in high school in 1994!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I will only say this... If you had adopted this lifestyle earlier in life, you may well be sitting on you ass now!
It is where we have been and who we were all along, that shapes who we are now and what we will ultimately become!
You go girl!
Post a Comment