By Friday of this past week, I had only run once during the week - 2.5 miles on Tuesday. I did some weight training on Wednesday and meant to run on Thursday, but it just didn't happen. I saw my motivation begin to slip. I suppose one might venture to say that the novelty of this marathon thing was beginning to wear off.
I knew, however, that I must get 4 runs per week in if the Eugene Half-Marathon was to be any more than a pipe dream. In order for me to attain these 4 runs, it meant I had to run Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I thought this was probably a long shot, but I went for it anyway because I remain mostly naive about this running thing yet and isn't there a saying that goes something like "what you don't know won't hurt you?".
So, in the spirit of foolishness and fear of losing grasp of the progress I'd made thus far, I hit the treadmill on Friday during my lunch break. It is worth mentioning that I ran on a new treadmill at the gym. Brand New. Looked like it came directly from the star-ship enterprise or somewhere other-worldly and super high-tech. Like the Mac Campus.
I had to step up off the ground about a foot and a half to even get on the thing. It had little mini fans on each side of the digital stats/time keeper and not one, but TWO huge cup holders underneath said fans. Of course I was in awe of such a machine, but almost jumped off because I didn't know how to turn the thing on. After a quick study, I found the start button and was running. While I felt like I was towering over the other runners (because I was) and was sure that with each step I was risking a head bump on the TV, that 18 inch platform did wonders for shock absorption. I was amazed at how great it felt. It seemed like no time had passed and my 3.5 miles were "behind" (hehe) me.
I quickly stretched, showered, and went about my day. Friday evening I was a little sore, so I made sure to stretch some more and take an ibuprofen.
Saturday, I ran 4 miles in a steady stream of rain. I actually didn't mind the rain at all. It felt nice to have a built-in "mister". The running part wasn't SO bad, but wasn't good either and I knew two things were certain if I was to achieve 6 miles the next day: I needed a steady stream of ibuprofen, and some new music. It also occurred to me that perhaps I should bend the rules a little (Gill Family Mantra: A YEAR before the GEAR) and invest in a new pair of running tights. I have been wearing a pair that is 10 years old and not only are they not pretty (understatement), they hit my calve muscle in the part that gets bulgy as I run. This COULD be why (I justified) I'm getting so much leg pain in such an odd area.
On Sunday morning, I took Emelyn to Skinner's Butte Park, after which we went to REI for some shopping. I found a pair of Nike tights that are supposed to hit just beneath the knee. I have seen fast-looking women running in similar tights and thought I should give them a try. I also asked a friendly sales associate if she could recommend a nice long-sleeved running top. She recommended (I'm not making this up) the REI brand layering UNDERWEAR long sleeve shirt. I figured I had nothing to lose and I could always take it back. I never would have thought to try it, but it does make sense: breathable fabric, close to the skin, and lightweight. Wear it over a sports bra and one should be comfortable in a wide spectrum of weather.
I also decided to look at the hydration systems. Some of you may call them "Water bottles" but let me tell you, this area of running has become super technical. After looking over and trying-on what seemed like 30 of them, I settled on one that lays sideways in the small of my back and seemed sturdy enough to stay there. Another bonus is that it's pretty lightweight (well, until you add water) which should also help to keep it in its place.
A nice little surprise: At the checkout, my total cost was $5.88. We had an REI dividend credit that was unused! Not too bad, eh?
When I came home, Emelyn and I ate lunch, read books, and she went down for a nap at just about the time Greg got home. I eagerly donned my new running attire, complete with newly downloaded music from Saturday night, and was off.
I immediately noticed that the new tights moved much better with my body than the old ones. I was glad for this because I wasn't sure what to think. They are not as tight as the old ones, so I was worried they'd be uncomfortable. My legs felt great (even throughout the whole run) and the music was awesome. Bruce Springsteen, The Eagles, Creedence Clearwater, more Tim McGraw, some Alan Jackson. They kept me going.
It took about two miles for me to get into my running groove again, but once I did, I really began to cruise. I do think the new tights helped. And the shirt felt great, too. Who knew that underwear makes great outerwear?
The only hitch was the water bottle around my waste. It was actually more comfortable than I thought it would be, and it wasn't too bouncy. I do need to become more accustomed to running with it. I did like having it around to take the recommended 6 oz sip every 15 minutes. The only thing I didn't like was WHERE it sat on my waste. I suppose I will get used to it. The weirdest part was being able to hear the water slush around between songs on my iPod. Oh well - I suppose people will hear me coming!
All throughout the run, I felt good. Better than expected. I wasn't sure how it would go and running three days in a row (13.5 miles total in three days) isn't something I've ever done. When the Eagle's tune "Life's Been Good" began to play, I thought about it and Life HAS been good to me. I've led a pretty charmed existence and (could it be?) running has enhanced it. I can't believe I'm saying that. But you know what? I think I'm more even keel and in general - I've just been sunnier. Happier, if you will. I don't know. Sure there are aches and pains - something is always hurting - but overall I feel good. I like the changes I've seen physically, as well as mentally. And let's not forget this free license to eat cake and other carb-loaded foods with reckless abandon!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Nice! See, I think you must buy items for whatever it is you're doing b/c that way you feel guilty if you stop. Works for me! ;) When is your half-marathon again?
I thought I would let everyone know that Liz is out running in the rain as I type this, and she set out to do 7.33 miles on this Easter Sunday. That is AWESOME. Way to go Lizzie, WE are very proud of you!
Go Team Gill!
Post a Comment