Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The 5K Challenge

Upon resolving to eat better in general and to avoid alcohol the evening before a run, I entered the week feeling pretty good. I decided that it would probably be a good idea to review my half-marathon training schedule once more, as I had just completed and mailed my entry form. I have committed to the Eugene Half Marathon on May 4.

While looking over the training guide, I noticed that it had encouraged a "10K Race" this coming Saturday instead of the 8 miles I assumed were upcoming. I also realized that I had completely ignored a recommended "5K race" from a few weekends ago. I carefully considered this. Tuesday was a beautiful full-sun day here in Eugene and I decided to chart a 3.1 mile course just to see how fast I could run it. I had plenty of time over my lunch break to race against myself during the self-proclaimed "Lizzie 5K".

10 years ago this June, I attended Officer Candidate's School for the USMC. If memory serves me correctly, I believe my first 3 mile Physical Fitness Test at OCS clocked in at 24 minutes. That's not too bad. 8 minute miles. I certainly FEEL like I'm in overall better shape now at 32 years old and could probably match it. Sure, there were a FEW differences in the scenario on this Sunny Tuesday in Eugene, OR 2008 than on that (probably rainy) day in June in Quantico, VA 1998. But, hey - how much could those differences matter anyway?

As it turned out, quite a bit. Let me elaborate.

I started running at a pretty decent pace. Surprisingly, starting at a faster pace wasn't difficult. I imagined that I would be breathing heavy and regretting this race against myself as soon as it began, but it felt pretty good to pick up the pace. It didn't hurt that it was lunchtime, the sun was out, and so were the runners. For the first time in this venture, I actually felt fast. I was whizzing by people left and right. It was a pretty cool feeling.

My first mile was completed in about 8 minutes. I was super excited. I still felt pretty good. Upon realizing my time, I became overcome with adrenaline and began to run faster yet. I thought for one teensy moment that I should maybe slow down before I either injure myself, or I run out of steam. I then determined that my run was more than 1/3 complete and it wasn't really that far, anyway. Three miles? Come on! That's nothing! (Shocking how far I've come. Three months ago, it was pretty far!).

As I completed my second mile, I looked at my stopwatch and can you believe I ran it in 7.5 minutes???? Sure, I was starting to crumble a little. I Felt the pain in the mid-lower legs and of course endured the on-set of the shinsplints, but I remained somewhat aloof to these minor aches and pains because I WAS MOVING!!!

Somewhere between 2 miles and 2.25 miles, things began to fall apart. My legs began to feel heavy. I couldn't hit a stride correctly. One of my hips was bugging me. I became extremely thirsty. I started to slow way, way, down. I resembled the Hunchback of Notre Dame as I schlepped my exhausted carcass and rubbery legs inch by inch towards the "finish line". I actually contemplated finding a phone and begging one off my co-workers to come to pick me up off of the bike path. I managed to continue "running", but only because I felt like the sooner I got home, the better. Funny thing was that my "running" wasn't really very fast. Mile #3: 16 minutes. You may be thinking, "Well, can't you just walk a mile in 15 minutes?". To answer your question - yes. I can. It was a grim moment for me, but I did it unto myself.

My 5K race time: 31.5 minutes. A gentle reminder that 10 years DOES make a difference. Perhaps if I had three Drill Instructors swarming around me yesterday I would have maintained that pace. I don't know. I do know, however, that I have quite a way to go with my training!

When I made it home, I made sure to drink Greg's magical 4 to 1 (4 grams of carbs per 1 gram of protein) concoction for speedy muscle recovery. I modified it, however to 4-to-1-to-2. Of course I heeded the instruction of the 4-to-1 ratio, but I washed down 2 ibuprofen for good measure. It didn't steer me wrong, as I recovered almost completely and feel great today.

Tonight I went to the gym to do 35 minutes of cross training on the eliptical machine. Tomorrow, my plan is to run 4.5 miles. Saturday, I haven't decided if I'm just going to run 10K, or plow ahead with 8 miles. I do know that I am in no way interested in "racing" again.

4 comments:

MikMalMom said...

You need to think of your Lizzie 5K and your next Lizzie 10K as runs, not races. Are you doing the marathon to beat people (namely yourself at 22 years old) or to accomplish something that has become important to you? Just so you know, my 5K time (3 years ago) was 31 minutes. Remember our phone conversation... I run like an elephant! LOL ;) Love you!

Unknown said...

You are on your way to good things, Lizzie! Good job for setting out to try the 5K and finishing it, regardless of how it turned out. Now you know, and there will most certainly be less "burn out" in the future . . . good to have happened with 1 mile left than 10! Way to go!

Note: I accidentally typed this message into the last post, so you will see it there, too. OOPS.

NANCI said...

The fact that you can even run two miles at that crazy speed is so amazing...but Beth is right this is less about time and a race and more about accomplishing a goal. Don't be discouraged feel great about the fact that 10 years later you have the capability to run a mile in 7.5 minutes. Wow! I have a 5k scheduled for April 12th and I too was planning on running it as fast as my legs would allow...perhaps I can learn something from your experience and simply just run it the best I can not to be the best. :-)

Take the 10K on---I know you can do it!

Kabukidoo Kel said...

Imagine knowing your pace is 12:20 per mile! Sucks huh?

Don't ruin an amazing thing by placing a time goal on it. The fact that run at worst 10 minute miles is incredible! You rock!

Kabukidoo