Monday, April 14, 2008

The Perfect Ten

First let me assure my readers that while I haven't been blogging, there have been plenty of goings-on in my humble running world. Second - let me warn you - this is a longer post. I've got much to report.

I know I have been complaining quite a bit about all of the discomfort of this newfound "hobby" of mine. I decided that in order for me to keep going with full faith and confidence in myself, I needed to figure out if it was the beginning of an injury, or just incessant, unjustified complaining of only minor to medium soreness.

I made it my mission this past week to investigate the pain I was having in my feet and my ankles/lower legs. I started at the Eugene Running Company, where I had been fitted for my shoes about two months ago. Knowing that the shoes should last for at least three hundred miles, the aching was probably not their fault directly, but rested rather with those who recommended the shoes on that fateful day in late January.

So, shoes in hand, I ventured into the store. They immediately sprung into action and had me walking and running in the store, on the sidewalk, on the treadmill, you name it - to see what was the matter. They determined that I probably need more cushion yet in my insoles for longer runs. The shoes I bought apparently aren't strong enough for my feet. They gave me (I repeat - at no charge - gave to me) a pair of Super Feet insoles and recommended I try them for a short run, a medium run, and then a longer run if all went well. I thanked them and vowed to hit the treadmill (it had been pouring down rain with no end in sight) on my lunch break the following day. In addition, I scheduled myself an appointment at one of those really fancy-pants sports medicine clinics - this one is called The Slocum Center - just to make sure I was being super whiny and was not in fact getting a serious injury. My appointment wasn't until Thursday, however.

On Tuesday, then, I took an Ibuprofen and hit the treadmill. Besides being completely bored for a half an hour, I had a decent run. I was amazed at how much better my feet and my legs felt. I had minimal swelling in my legs and my feet didn't hurt at all. Hurray for Superfeet!!

I tried to run on Wednesday without the Ibuprofen because I was feeling so confident in the new insoles. There was a break in the clouds, so I headed outdoors on a 4 mile route. This proved to be a bad choice. I made it exactly two blocks before I turned around due to excruciating pain. Keep in mind that I was yet uncertain as to the cause of said pain. Instead to keeping a stiff upper lip, I limped back to the gym and gleefully completed an hour of weight training. I was not discouraged. I was merely attempting to be patient with the process.

Wednesday, I chose to rest. I had back to back appointments during work, and then immediately after. Thursday was my appointment with the Orthopedist.

Let me just say - if you live in Eugene and are at all curious - check out the Slocum Center. It's a brand new facility - it opened late last summer. Upon walking in, you are not only met with the aroma of coffee and pastries from the on-sight coffee shop, but also a friendly person who's job it is to say hello to you, and then point you in the right direction. I was very pleased with this excellent service. I headed to the top floor to see my physician. After what seemed like 1000 X-rays, I sat in the waiting room for a little while, and then sat for a little longer in the exam room.

Once the Dr. was in front of me, I became very talkative. I found myself telling her every little detail about this whole marathon thing. How I haven't ran much at all for ten years and my friends and I decided to do a marathon. I've been following a training schedule. I'm not sure if my aches and pains are normal, or if I've got an injury. I disclosed all info on my stress fractures from ten years ago. I told her more than she wanted to know, I'm sure. In fact - I'm not sure she knew what hit her. She seemed a little stunned to be honest. She sat in front of me while my legs dangled in front her. She poked along the bones in my feet and legs to see where the hurt was. She then showed my all of those X-rays. Final verdict: I AM being a whiny cry-baby. there's nothing wrong with me aside from a little tendinitis on my lower legs and planter fascia on the bottom of my feet. She sent me out the door with some handouts for stretches and exercises to help with the pain. Let me tell you what - I could not have been more pleased. Sure, it stung a little to learn that I was being a whiner, but it was the best diagnosis of all possible outcomes.

Friday, I crammed in a 5.5-6mile run after my lunch appointment, but before I had to be at the preschool to help set up for the art show. All felt good. Not great. I had some getting-used-to to do with those Super Feet. They are heavier than my featherweight Nike Zoom insoles and they require one more eyelet of my shoe to be laced. I did not figure out the latter concept until well into the run. I just felt slower. My legs felt heavier. I have read that Bill Bowerman, the legendary UO track coach who co-founded Nike along with Phil Knight, was "obsessed" with the weight of the shoes his team wore. He'd go to drastic measure to shave even half an ounce. Upon reading that little statistic, I must admit, I thought it a little over the top. Suffice it to say that I now understand a little more about Mr. Bowerman's preoccupation with shoe ounces. Even a tiny bit of weight makes a difference.

My Friday afternoon run was also in the heat. I think it was about 70 degrees. Full sun. BEAUTIFUL day. I ran ten minute miles. I felt OK, but not super. I was encouraged, though, that my legs and feet felt fine for most of the run.

On Saturday, I felt good enough to plan a ten mile run for Sunday. I figured that hey - even if I had to take a cab, I'd make it back home in one shape or form. I was a little nervous because I skipped the long run the week prior. Two weeks ago I had run a fantastic 8 mile loop and felt great, though, so I knew it was possible to run a little longer.

The eight mile run taught me a couple of things: #1: Stop and stetch and massage those calves at 2 miles. It pays dividends for the remainder of the run. Even if I stop for three whole minutes - it's worth it. #2: drink water every 15-20 minutes, even if I don't need it. #3: Bring a snack - I almost ran out of fuel at 1 hour 10 minutes during my 8 mile run. #4: Carbo-load all day Saturday and drink plenty of water.

So - with these guidelines in mind, I spent Saturday mentally and physically preparing myself for Sunday's run. This weekend, the temperature kicked up a notch, too. It was almost 80 on Saturday and probably low to mid-70's on Sunday. I factored the rising temps into the water equation.

I planned my route and packed my fanny pack with a water bottle and two boxes of raisins. I left the house at about 12pm. I budgeted for two hours. I knew I would not sail through the middle of this run as I had the 8 miler, and I had a feeling I'd need more walking and/or stretching breaks.

My first two miles, as per my prediction, were really, really slow and really, really awful. I hadn't taken my Ibuprofen soon enough, so I still felt a lot of the leg and ankle pain. This went away - or I just forgot about it - relatively quickly. I stopped after two miles and stretched for a few minutes, massaged those tendons, found a motivating tune on my ipod, and headed towards the river bike and running paths. I noticed that I had logged about thirty minutes at this point! Those first two miles are certainly not my strong suit!

I was amazed at how many people were out and how many of them looked like they had already run several miles before I encountered them. It felt good to be going after it. It also felt good that the city water fountains are on and plentiful. It seemed like every 20 minutes I passed one. It also seemed like I was crossing the footbridge all the way on the far side of the rose garden in no time. Once on the other side of the river, I had this uplifting thought: I was running on the part of the path that I see when driving on I 105 towards Springfield. Whoa. That was mind boggling to me because that path IS SO FAR FROM MY HOUSE! I live in South Eugene. I was a little girl far from home!

I checked my watch and I had been running for 45 minutes, so I decided that now - before I needed it - would be a good time to eat my first pack of raisins. It was a little humorous to me because I was eating while running past nice restaurants full of people, who were eating lunch and watching people like me run or ride by. I wonder what they thought of me as I chewed raisins, ran past them.

Never once did I feel like I was going to die, nor did I ever entertain the thought that "this is too difficult". I often felt very hot and salty, but it wasn't too bad. I think the water was key to this, as well as that little pack of raisins. Once I crossed the bridge and headed towards Campus, I really felt a sense of accomplishment. I was noticeably a little slower than I had been in the middle of the run. My legs continued to feel heavy. Around mile 8.5, my left knee ached, as did my left hip, but only a little, and only when I stopped for stop-lights, silly as it may sound. This oddity kept me moving . . . so hey - whatever it takes. Nothing like a little knee pain while immobile to keep one running.

When I finally saw my house - almost two hours later - I couldn't believe I had actually run ten miles. It was insane. I didn't even feel terrible, save a small bout of IBS, which I'm told is common when one runs long distance if one eats certain triggering foods the day prior (in my case, I blame a burrito from Saturday Market). You may wonder why I'm disclosing this to you, but hey - I'm telling you for your own safety and well-being. I certainly wish I had been warned before embarking on long-distance runs.

So a ten-miler is now under my belt. I can now say I've run ten miles. I've never done that before. I suppose the good/bad thing about all of this - It's just the beginning! I've got loads of long runs ahead of me. I feel pretty comfortable with the Eugene Marathon (well, half in my case) on May 4. 10 wasn't easy, but I did it and I know I can do 13. I am in love with my Super Feet. I have not been as enamored with footwear for quite some time. This past week has made me feel responsible and proactive as well. I did my research on my injury, checked all the boxes to make sure I wasn't acting foolishly and pushing myself too hard and I am all set to go.

I must admit - this is not all fun and games. Yes, I did run ten miles on Sunday. Yes, I finished said distance in one piece and have lived to blog about it. And yes - there are raisins, Superfeet, and cool tunes on one's iPod. But there's another side of the actual run itself. I have felt very sore today and yesterday my legs felt like Jello. I went to see CATS as my "reward" after running yesterday afternoon. I scored a pair of free tickets from work. I figured that it would be nice to sit and veg for two hours at the performing arts center to watch the Broadway in Eugene rendition of CATS. As it turns out - I left after an hour. Partially out of fear that I wouldn't be able to get up after another hour, and partially because I had no clue what was happening. I couldn't follow the plot at all (I have since learned that there is, in fact, no plot). And then this morning - I hit the snooze button an unprecedented three times. My poor little dog was as confused as ever and literally sat and begged for me to get out of bed and let him outside. I was too afraid to move out of fear that bad things would happen when I rolled out of bed.

Time and movement healed the stiffness and soreness in my legs, as you may have guessed, but I have maintained a somewhat gingerly stride today. All in all (thanks to Superfeet), I've recovered nicely. I'm (what??) excited to try 11 or 12 next week. Not sure I understand what that means, but I'm guaranteed to find out!!

2 comments:

MikMalMom said...

Matt has planter fascia and it's a fairly bad case. He had to buy $500 inserts specially made for his feet so be thankful you got a pair of free ones.
Good job on the 10 miler. Keep it up Liz... love you!

NANCI said...

Glad to know that your pain was not due to anything serious and that you were able to find something to help you so quickly. It is amazing how helpful the people working in a true running store are and how they truly want to help you.

You are up to double digits now---you are so going to blow that half marathon out of the water! No worries.

You are inspiring me to keep going!
NANCI