Sunday, May 18, 2008

Back to Training

You may think I have forgotten how to run since the half-marathon, since I haven't posted a blog yet. I have been dutifully running, however, as well as continuing to make discoveries about myself as a runner.

I did not run for 6 days after the marathon. I was sore and stiff up until that point, but did manage some nice cross training. My first run a week ago Saturday - a 2.5 miler - was awful. I wondered the entire time when it would get better and it never did. I probably would have been OK if I hadn't cut the distance halfway through to turn around and come home. It was that terrible.

Sunday I vowed to run again - maybe I just needed to loosen up more. It was better, but still really painful. I decided that perhaps it was time to look into new shoes.

Monday was a rest day, Tuesday I ran a mile on the treadmill (hideously awful) and did 25 minutes of cross training on the Elliptical machine. Wednesday - I finally did something about this pain.

When I picked up my registration for the Half Marathon at the running expo, I received a coupon in the goodie bag for $25 off a pair of custom orthotics from Foot Solutions. I decided to check out their store to see if they could tell me what's wrong with my feet.

I was approached by a sales person who seemed knowledgeable (but pushy) and he asked me to stand on this square that had feet drawn on it, and to place my feet in the feet on the square. In a matter of seconds - there were the bottoms of my feet on the computer screen. They were color coded according to my pressure points. I was instructed to stand still for 30 seconds while it analyzed my stance. As it turns out - I am a big time Supinator. Now - I was told by the Eugene Running Company that I am slightly pronating in one foot but an otherwise normal. Of course I became furious and thought at that moment I'd never buy shoes again from the fancy running store. Well - never say never because I quickly learned I'd take the free advice from foot solutions and run.

The sales guy at Foot Solutions proceeded to put me in a pair of New Balance running shoes. Nothing against New Balance - but the soles on these shoes were perfect ovals. No indent for an arch. They looked like moon boots without the boot part. I could see them out of my peripheral vision and swore I'd trip over my feet the moment I tried to move quickly in them. They were hideous. I imagine they'd suit a 95 year old woman whose arches were collapsing just fine - but for me - well, I'd wait my turn for them in 63 years.

I thanked the fellow at Foot Solutions and darted down the road to Eugene Running Company. This time, I told them I am a Supinator and left it at that. They pointed me to the correct shoes and I chose a super cushy, wide, beautiful pair of Nike's Bowerman Series. I love these shoes. They have not treated me badly. I ran for 4 miles on Wednesday night, cross trained on Thursday, took Friday and Saturday off and had a FABULOUS FIVE miles today. I can't believe it's taken almost 5 months for me to figure out that I need wider, cushier shoes.

I could have demanded the Eugene Running Company give me the shoes, or at least offer a deep discount, but I decided it probably wasn't their fault entirely. Perhaps I wasn't running as naturally as I should have when they analyzed my stride on the treadmill. It's difficult to act natural when you're running in socks and someone is staring at your feet.

So - all in all - I am very happy and looking forward to another running week. I have chosen my marathon training schedule - it's Hal Higdeon's Novice #2. I am repeating the first two weeks of Novice One for now - until June 2 - when I officially begin the Novice 2. I can honestly say that I am looking very forward to it!

No comments: